A Quaker in Guatemala

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The rainy season approaches

It's lovely to see the weather changing! For the first time in ages we are beginning to see clouds forming, and even bursts of rain as we move towards the rainy season.

In response, the tired and thirsty fields are beginning to become green again, with fresh grases and big red flowers popping up in the hedgerows.

I really love my journey to La Selva now, even though it's quite long, bumpy and dusty. As I mentioned before, the same people get on the bus every morning to go to work, so it's really lovely. There's just T and I, and one other gringo on the bus - we stick out like sore thumbs with our giant statures and pale skin.

That reminds me, I had a freaky incident in the market yesterday. Not really that freaky, but just a bit odd. I was walking around in a dream state looking at all the vegetables and I passed a man leaning against a wall. He reached out and stroked my wrist!! My first thought was that he had smeared something horrible on it, but when I got round the corner I looked and he hadn't. I think he just wanted to touch my freaky pale skin!!!

Easter approaches, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the celbrations here. As this is such a catholic country it promises to be quite a celebration, with processions and celebrations everywhere. Something interesting/amusing I've been meaning to describe for ages are the religious placcards that adorn every shop and business place I've seen. Almost every one has a sign that says something along the lines of 'may God bless this tienda, and everyone that buys their bread here', or 'this business is dedicated to the glory of God'. However, the best one I have seen is in all the chicken buses. They almost all have a sign that says 'God help us on this journey' I have added my own fervent prayers many times! It reminds me of a long-dead great-aunt of mine, who used to annoy my parents by insisting on saying a prayer before mum or dad started the engine of the car.

There's far more need for prayers here though, all in all I think it's a pretty sensible thing to do! One of my amusing chicken bus stories happened on the way to Todos Santos. We were going down a really steep hill, and suddenly I could smell burning, and the bus was engulfed in smoke. The driver and conductor got out of the bus, took the wheels off, chucked a bucket of water on the brakes, and off we went! Ho hum, so many chicken bus stories and so little time! In fact, the first class buses aren't any better. The last one I travelled on had a bullet hole in the windscreen!

I may have told you that T and I are living in the 'Wellbeing House', with loads of yoga, no alcohol etc. Well, next week one of the members has proposed that we do a 5 day fast. Apparently this is supposed to be good for you, although I must confess I'm rather sceptical. Nevertheless I'm quite tempted to see whether I can do it or not. Even the prospect of going without food for a few hours fills me with horror. I wonder what will happen?

Well, that's about all my news for today!
H

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home