A Quaker in Guatemala

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Teaching at La Selva Primary School

I have had such a lovely day! Just being in La Selva and at the school makes me feel so lovely! (as well as utterly exhausted!). One of my objectives for this trip was to cry when I leave, and I know that it's definitely going to happen! The children are so lovely, and I'm feeling a bit sad and whistful. I will *never* see these children again. I will never know what becomes of them.

I often think this when I meet young children, but even more so here because I wonder what the future will be like for people that are growing up now. I hope that it will be better, and that progress will be made, but just now I feel strangely pessimistic. The rich countries know that to stay rich they need to keep countries like Guatemala poor, and the richer they are, the easier it is to keep other countries down.

I read today that the USA has given the Guatemalan military $32 million. WHY?? Imagine $32 million spent on food and development projects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home