A Quaker in Guatemala

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Fast day three

Hours since i last ate: 60

I feel really, absolutely, completely terrible. So weak that it took all I had to struggle here and write to you (but I thought I had better do it or you might assume that I had died!). I actually don´t feel very far from death, not in a melodramatic way, but in a kind of passive accepting way. Of course, deep down I know that I´m not going to die, and that the day after tomorrow I can eat, which isn´t so bad after all. I´m just over half way through the fast, and I plan to spend the rest of the day and night asleep.

We´re supposed to do 2 hours of exercise per day during this fast, presumably to help with fat burning and therefore the release of toxins stored there. But I just can´t face it today. I also can´t face taking my molasses or psyllium husks (or whatever they are called) I wish I could because they take the edge of the hunger, and provide some bit of nutrition and cleansing. But right now even the thought of taking anything but water makes me feel horribly nauseous.

Allegedly, tomorrow I will stop feeling hungry and start feeling really good. THat means that today is the last of the horrible days. I hope so. This is the most unpleasant sensation I have voluntarily undertaken. If I wasn´t part of a supportive group of 6, I would have quit by now. If it was just T and I, we would be feasting on an enormous breakfast, throwing all thoughts of fasting happily to the wind. But as it is we would feel like failures, and letting the group down, so we carry on. The other day I wanted to complete the fast more than I wanted to eat. Now it´s very much the other way round.

I can feel the day 3 headache kicking in, so I´m going to sign off here.

If there´s no entry tomorrow, it´s because I am refusing to get out of bed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home