A Quaker in Guatemala

Monday, November 08, 2004

El Madrid

Today has been quite an emotional rollercoster! I woke up with a feeling of dread, and wondering why I am setting off for Guatemala, when the rest of Leeds is going about their normal Monday morning lives. Still, my housemates were so excited for me, constantly telling me how envious they are, so that made me feel a little better.

So today I have travelled just as far as Madrid, and we´re staying in a hostel in the Chueco district. This place is really lovely, and I really want to return in the future. It feels very studenty and groovy, with loads of cafes, cervezarias, and even a juice bar, complete with lovely man who rescued us from a fate of wandering around Madrid for the whole night looking for our hostel.

I am still suffering terrible withdrawl pangs from not having my mobile phone :o(. Which reminds me, why is it that when you are have had a few too many cervezas (as at my party on Saturday night), you have a desire to text message everyone in the world? I can only hazard guesses at what I might have written to these poor unsuspecting chums by deciphering their responses the next day!

Tomorrow we fly from Madrid at around midday, which should give us time to spend our remaining 11 euros here in Chuec0 on breakfast (and juice from the lovely man in the lovely juice bar!). T has come down with the worst cold ever (imported from Sweden I believe, by G, a friend and party guest on Saturday), and is already in bed. We are sated and happy as we found a fab Thai restaurant literally next door. Our flight will be 7 hours to Miami, and then 3 hours to Guatemala city. I anticipate a very sneezy T, and us both collapsing into our bed for the night. Still, one step at a time!...

Incidentally, if you´re looking for budget accommodation in Madrid, this is the place to come. It´s called hospeja dolce vita, calle san Bartoleme, Chueco, Madrid. It´s fab.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home