A Quaker in Guatemala

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Tikal and Flores and homeward bound

On Monday morning, at quarter to 4, T and I were collected from our distinctly downmarket hotel (C & B were staying in a rather lovelier one elsewhere), and driven to the airport in Guatemala city. At half six we got on a plane for possibly the shortest flight I have ever taken, to Santa Elena, Peten, where the ruins of the mayan temples at Peten are to be found.

After getting up at half past 3, I wasn't really in the mood to embark on a 4 hour tour of the ruins. But this was all part of a pre-arranged package, and I couldn't really pull out without looking like a miserable spoil sport. The place is so hot though!! I honestly couldn't believe it. I didn't see a thermometer anywhere around, but it must have been getting towards 40C, and being the jungle, the humidity was intense.

On Tuesday morning we were woken to the eerie sound of howler monkeys, and got to the gates of the park for 6am. This was much better - it was so much cooler. We climbed to the top of temple 4 and watched what would have been a sunrise if it hadn't have been so cloudy. Nevertheless, it was amazing up there. We looked down on monkeys playing in the trees, green parrots and toucans. It was lovely! It was another one of those things that probably would't be allowed if it existed in the uk - 40 metres up on worn stone steps, and sitting atop an ancient Mayan temple. It was cool.

After a morning of eating, drinking and sweating, we were picked up by another bus and brought here, to Flores. Flores is a town that sits in the middle of lake Peten on a tiny island. It's quite pretty, but has a slightly strange atmosphere, there are many hotels, restaurants and tourist shops, but today they are completely deserted.

Today the number of insect bites on my body is 72. I think that this is a personal best for me. Just typing this sets me off itching. They vary from 7cm splotches that look a bit like a bullseye target thing, to the normal white lumps, to these tiny ones that I have all over my calves and even THE SOLES OF MY FEET! That grow little yellow heads on them when I get hot. These are the most agonising. I am horrified at the prospect of sitting on a 13 hour flight tomorrow which these things.

For this reason I have declined to go and look at more mayan ruins in another jungle with the others. They set off at 7.30 this morning, and I retired to my lovely, air-conditioned hotel room WITH BATH!!!! Like, I haven't even seen a bath since I left the UK. I have spent a real leisurely morning by myself, which has been lovely. I ventured out for a coffee at another hotel (but left when the people at the next table started to talk about contract killers), and have otherwise spent the morning sitting in my bath of cool water (heaven) and dancing on my bed to MTV, singing into the remote control like a 15-year old. It's been great!

I have 2 hours to kill until (if my spanish performed correctly) the driver who is taking the others from the jungle place to the airport, comes to pick me up. I told him I was ill and begged him to do this. I hope he turns up. Our flight is tonight at half 5 back to guatemala city, and then we'll travel to Antigua, for our very last night in Guatemala.

I can't really believe I'm leaving for the UK tomorrow. It's such a strange sensation, it feels as though our leaving party was only yesterday. In a way it was, that was the last day I spent in my other life. It feels like I stopped time in Leeds, and stepped out and went to Guatemala for another life while that one was on hold. When I go back it will be hard to believe that almost 6 months have passed, and that everyone else will have been getting on with things. It will be summer for a start. Weird!

So I guess I'm coming to the end of this blog too. Thank you for reading! It's been fun to write, and something I'll be able to look on with fondness.

If you would like more info on any of the things I've written about here, just drop me an email, and I'll do my best.

Hilary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home